South Korean databases hacked, says US general
Source: The Guardian
General Curtis M Scaparrotti, commander of US forces in South Korea, apologised on Thursday for the “possible theft” from two databases of private details of South Koreans, including names, contact information and work history.
About 16,000 current and former workers, almost all of them Korean nationals, and people who have sought jobs with the US military in South Korea, are affected by the incident.
The US military said no classified military data had been compromised as the databases were on a separate network.
The South Korean government, broadcasting and finance industry networks have been a frequent target of cyber-attacks. Some have been blamed on North Korea, which denies any involvement. Others have been attributed to hackers seeking to profit from data theft.